The roadmap for an UNDAF lays out the process for its development with a timeline and clarity on who does what. The roadmap:
- Supports dialogue and promotes a smooth and transparent planning process within the UNCT as well as with the government, partners and other stakeholders from the inception;
- Outlines the required and agreed steps that lead to the signing of the UNDAF with the Government;
- Identifies key actions and the division of labour among UN organizations;
- Identifies when and from whom support is required, including Regional UNDG Teams, Peer Support Groups and headquarters;
- Outlines how resources will be mobilized for UNDAF preparation, including the diverse expertise available within the UNCT.
The roadmap is developed through a participatory process at the start of the penultimate year of the ending UNDAF. Extensions of UNDAFs can be requested from the Regional UNDG Team to ensure better alignment to the national planning cycle or to adapt to other national circumstances, such as the national electoral calendar or a crisis situation.
Developing the Roadmap
UNDG Team is to ensure better alignmentt to the national planning cycle or to adapt to other national circumstances, such as the national electoral calendar or a crisis situation.
The United Nations prepares a draft roadmap using the template (for preparing the UNDAF roadmap) provided through a fully inclusive interagency process. This is then shared for consultation with the national government and other national stakeholders. A strategy to engage funding partners in this process can help in financing the UNDAF.
Once the draft roadmap has been developed, the Resident Coordinator on behalf of the UNCT shares it with the Regional UNDG Team and the Peer Support Group to review and agree on required regional support. This can include, but is not limited to, technical expertise on specific thematic areas; training on any step in the development of the UNDAF, including the application of the integrated programming principles; support to strategic prioritization and assistance with the UNDAF evaluation. The Peer Support Group provides feedback within 15 working days. Once the roadmap is finalized, the Resident Coordinator shares it with national government and other relevant national stakeholders and submits it to the Regional UNDG Team.